Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Which Calendar?




I recently downloaded two different calendar apps on my phone for an assignment and then this is the written summary of why I would choose one over the other and what all the different features were in both apps. I still have both on my phone right now because they both are pretty similar. But there is one that I would choose over the other. The two apps that I used for this assignment is Google Calendars and Calendars by Readdle. The thing with all the calendars that you download is that they all sync with Google Calendars. That’s one thing that I didn’t really understand the point of it. Why would you download Google Calendars and then download ANOTHER calendar app just to sync them both together to be the same? I just didn’t see the point and that was the first red flag for me to lean more towards Google. I decided to still give the other app a chance. It gave me no choice but to sync it with the Google Calendar that I already had so I just went with it.

The next thing I did was look through all of the features that the Readdle one had. It didn’t really take me that long because the app was quite similar to Google’s. But there was one feature that I wish wasn’t there. That feature was the Week format. For this app there was three different ways that you can look at the calendar (Week, Month, and Day). When I put it to look at the calendar in the Week format I totally just stared at it for a second. I totally disliked it! When I looked at the calendar for this week (which had a lot of events on it) it was really overwhelming! It looked cluttered and I just didn’t see the point of that feature. I get that some people want to look at their plans for their week overall but to me it still wasn’t created clean and efficiently. The events were all boxed and each week was crammed next to each other. I would have spaced the days of the week out a little more so it didn’t seem so overwhelming.

Other than that feature on the Readdle app I thought it was pretty good. It was rather easy for me to create a new event. The Month and Day format was similar to the Google’s. Personally, I would only use the Day by Day format and then I can just swipe to each day. Doing it that way for me, makes it easier to see all my events.

For Google Calendars, I don’t really have anything that I dislike about it. The format of it is very clean cut. It’s very easy for me to look at my events even when I’m sharing my calendar with my Mom. I think it’s great for teens my age to share their calendar with their parents because it won’t really be a hassle to get around both of each other’s schedules. I could simply just take a look at my calendar to see if what I’m planning could work around my schedule and my Mom’s without having any problems. Since with the other calendar app I could sync with the Google Calendars I didn’t have to worry if I was still going to see my Mom’s schedule. But I still didn’t understand why you would download a second calendar app just to sync it with the other one you have? That’s a waste because:

1: You’re taking up more space on your phone for no reason.

2: What’s the point of handling two apps?

So what Calendar App do I recommend? That’s a hard question. I think it all depends on your preference. Personally, I’m probably going to delete the Readdle Calendar app and keep going with my Google one that I have been using. But I think it all depends on your taste and what features you would use most. If you already have a Google Calendar, I would bother looking for any other app. You would just be wasting your time because all of the other ones ask to sync with your Google Calendar. Like I said before, what’s the point of that? So, overall I recommend Google. Now that I’m finished with this review I’m going to go delete the other calendar app. I hope this helped with your own calendar situation!

No comments:

Post a Comment