Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Novels, Short Stories, and Novellas



There are many different types of literature as you may already know. But I think that kids my age and maybe even people older than me are more familiar with novels. I read more novels than anything else. But there are 2 other types of literature that I learned about. I’m pretty sure that I read one of them but not the other. So the one that I have read before is short stories. It’s pretty much what you read when you were younger. But some short stories don’t always have to be for little kids. But anyway, they’re basically self-explanatory. They are….. You guessed it….. Short! They aren’t exactly able to get in depth with everything like with a novel. Short stories are great for younger ones because they sometimes don’t have the attention span to listen to you read chapters from a novel that doesn’t have any pictures. That’s another thing, pictures. Novels don’t have pictures. When I was younger, I loved reading (I still do) and so I was super excited to finally get into harder books to read because they didn’t have any pictures. This allowed me to have my own imagination. When you see a movie before reading the book, or read a book that has pictures in it, those images get put into your head and then the look of the story is already all laid out for you. That’s why I most likely will ALWAYS read the book before the movie. Sometimes people look at me like I’m crazy but I just told you the explanation to why I do just that. So short stories are definitely completely different from novels but they both work really well with different age groups.

The other type of literature I’m not as familiar with. I might have read something along the lines of it, but I have read so many books I’m not too sure. But these types of books are novellas. It kind of sounds super similar to novels doesn’t it? Well it’s kind of in the middle of short stories and novels. It involves fewer conflicts than a novel would have but they get more in depth and complicated than a short story. So it’s basically the in between. Have you read a book like this? I’m still not sure if I have. But I would be open to trying this type of literature out for myself.

These aren’t the only types of literature. There are many, many more but these three are the ones that I have learned about more in depth. Even though I am learning about different types of literature, I will always love reading novels the most because I love get sucked into a book where I get out of reality and I can use my imagination all the way to the last page.

What is your favorite type of literature? Let me know by commenting on this blog post and it doesn’t even have to be one of the three that I mentioned. Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment