Friday, January 10, 2014

Charlemagne



In this essay I am going to be talking all about the ruler Charlemagne. I’ll answer questions like, “How did he get such a name?” and “What accomplishments did he make during his rule?” I hope you enjoy learning about this because I sure did!

When Charlemagne was born (April 2nd 742 AD) his names Carolus or Charles, was after his Grandfather Charles Martel. One of the names he was known by was Charles the Great, which translates to Charlemagne. Interesting right? I personally get somewhat confused when repetitive names come up in history, one of those names is Charles, and lots of people were named Charles. If I lived back then I would get so confused over who is who! But I understand that back then they wanted the name to carry on throughout the family.

At first he did not become sole ruler of the Carolingian kingdom, but he did become co-ruler with his brother Carloman when he was 26 in 768. Although when Carloman died in 771 Charlemagne became sole ruler of the Carolingian kingdom.

While he was ruling he married a Lombard princess which strengthened more relationships in different areas, although that marriage didn’t last and so he began to marry another wife later on. He had a total of 18 children with 10 different women.

Charlemagne sooner or later accomplished being ruler of France and Italy. I think that was a pretty big accomplishment if you ask me! He did have almost constant war going on when he reigned. Get ready for this…. He fought against the Saxons in 18 wars in 30 years! That is a lot of wars that went on! Charlemagne did forcefully convert the Saxons to Christianity whether they like it or not. But since Charlemagne did that the Saxons obviously revolted which led to Charlemagne choosing to execute all 4500 of them. That whole incident was known as the Massacre of Verdun.

He conquered even MORE areas of the world which were the Avars and Slavs. He was very successful over ruling a lot of areas. Aside from his accomplishments of his battles and conquering he did have a lot of emphasis over the education for boys and girls. I think that was a good quality about him.

Even though Charlemagne accomplished a lot in his lifetime he was very depressed towards the end of his life because he had even more plans that he wanted to accomplish but he didn’t. On the 47th year of his reign, he fell ill to his death at the age of 72 in 814. He was king for a pretty good amount of time!

4 comments:

  1. Great job writing on the information you learned about Charlemagne!

    One thing that you can do to improve your writing is to stop using first person in your writing. This means taking out words such as: I, me, my, and mine

    Avoiding first person will make your writing sound less conversational and more like an essay. Keep up the good work!

    -Bradley Fish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassidy, I enjoyed reading your essay. I was intrigued by your conclusion that he was depressed at the end of his life. I wonder what else he could possibly want? It makes me think about what I want - what you want at the end of our lives. I would have liked to see a stronger introductory "hook." " I am going to talk about..." doesn't draw me in. Maybe a little story about Charlemagne or about your theme introduced at the end? Nice! Enjoyed reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tips! I'm glad you enjoyed reading it!

      Delete