Monday, June 1, 2015

A Knight of the White Cross: Writing Style and Setting



G.A. Henty has a very old-fashioned writing style. To me, it’s very different from the authors today. Henty’s books really show how much are language has evolved into what it is now. The way they spoke back then, was much more graceful. Today, we speak very straight forward and we have a lot of slang words. At first, when I started reading these books I would get very frustrated when I couldn’t understand the way they were speaking. But now I kind of just go with it even when I don’t understand it because I know that the book takes place a long time ago and that was how they used to speak. The way this author writes I notice he includes a lot of dialogue and not so much description of the area. Henty does describe things just not as much as I’ve seen other authors do. But, I’m okay with that because there’s been some books that I have read and the author takes pages and pages and pages to describe one room. That’s the type of description that I don’t like because I didn’t want to read the book to just get a description of where it takes place, I also want to stay with the storyline. So, as long as you do good amounts of describing, and sticking to the storyline, you’re an author I would like.

Other than the way they talk in the book, the setting I think is pretty interesting. I would love to just time travel back to that time and take a peek at how it was back then. They had massive ships, elegant clothing, and so much more. No, they didn’t have cell phones and flat screen TVs…..Actually they had no TVs at all. But I still think it would be a great trip to take to get the experience. The one thing that I wouldn’t really want to see is the slavery. Henty showed the struggles of being a slave and I would not want to see that happening because there wasn’t really a lot of equality during that time. But I would want to see the scenery, the people, etc.. There was some pros to that time period, but of course there was some cons. We have that today too.

Picturing the slavery taking place in the book made me cringe. I really hate when people get mistreated. The main character named Gervaise, didn’t like slavery either. He officially became my favorite character because of the way that he treated the slaves. When he was in charge of a ship that had slaves, he took great care of them. Yes they still had to do work, but he made the work more pleasant. For example, when they had to row, Gervaise covered them from the sun so that they don’t have to work in unpleasant conditions. When they got food served they got much better servings. People like Gervaise, were very rare during this time because everybody would treat the slaves like dirt. Actually, I think even dirt got treated better than the slaves sadly. But the reason he acted so nicely to them is because he knew what they were going through. How you ask? Well he actually served as a slave for 2 months under the same harsh conditions. So he was going to try to help the slaves whenever he can.

I would definitely be like Gervaise because I would hate to watch people just like you and me get treated as if they were completely different. Back then they denied the fact that everybody was the same, just different colors. Even today there are some people who deny it. But whether your Straight, Gay, Black, White, Hispanic, etc. We’re all the same and nobody should get treated differently for who they are. Because they can’t change themselves.

Overall Henty’s writing style is still something that I have to get used to because it’s sometimes hard for me to understand compared to the books that I read that take place in the present. But it’s a learning experience and I think I should get introduced to other writing styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment