Friday, November 7, 2014

My Experience of Hurricane Sandy



Hurricane Sandy was one of the worst storms I have ever experienced. I have experienced many hurricanes but there wasn’t one that was as extreme as Sandy. We heard many warnings on the news and what not and with my family, we get very prepared when it comes to this stuff. So we gathered flashlights, candles, batteries for certain things, and began charging everything just in case we lost power. To me, I love when we lose power because I think it’s so much fun and it makes you feel like you got brought back in time to when no one had electricity. We weren’t so worried about this storm because we have gone through others and we knew what we were doing.

So when the storm started it began to be very windy and rainy. We stayed inside all day and didn’t need to be anywhere so that was a plus to this situation. I was even crossing my fingers that we lose power because it is one of my favorite things when it comes to a storm.

Everything seemed to be alright until suddenly there was a flicker in all of the lights and then we lost power. Trust me, I got very excited. So, we lit all the candles and got out the board games because we always play board games camping. We are big campers so whenever it rained we would get in our tent and play board games. My Mom started to look up and see where and how many people lost power in the nearby towns. We still had no idea how we lost ours, but it could have been anything, a tree falling on the lines, lightning striking an electricity pole. But we were not at all worried.

The next day we still didn’t have any power, but we decided to drive out and see what damage has been done since the storm was over. It turns out there was a ton of damage. We drove to other towns that we always go to. Some of the houses that were near the water got taken with the sea! That’s one reason why I would not want to live right on the water even though sometimes it’s nice but it could be gone in one big storm. We were thankful that we just lost power and not our whole house.  Some trees fell down so hard that you can see some of the roots. Also, some people didn’t even have a backyard because it was filled with water!

The next few days we still didn’t have power but thankfully we had a friend in our town that did not lose power so we went there to take showers. We were wondering and wondering when we would get our power back because it’s been almost a week.Well another one of our friends let us borrow a generator because we seriously needed electricity because we needed to save some of our refrigerated foods and such. So we used that for a little bit and then finally after a whole week or so we got our power back!

I will never ever forget that storm because it was kind of a mini adventure to me. I know that sounds crazy but it was true. I’m just so thankful that we weren’t one of those people coming home to no house. But even though that hurricane was really crazy and had an extreme power outage I still love losing electricity, I guess that’s the girl scout/camper in me.
Here are some of the pictures from the storm that I took myself when we drove around: 






No comments:

Post a Comment